What is SASE and Zero Trust Network Access?
SASE and Zero Trust Network Access: An Overview
Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) and Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) are security approaches for modern IT environments.
SASE is a framework for architecting IT networks that simplifies management while improving security. SASE solutions combine networking and security functions into a single, cloud-based service that moves security functions from data centers to the network edge. As a result, SASE reduces costs, enhances performance and provides better protection for highly distributed, cloud-based environments.
Zero Trust Network Access is a product that uses Zero Trust principles to achieve secure remote access for users and devices connecting to networks and cloud-based services. Rather than the traditional approach to security which assumes everything inside the network is safe, ZTNA security assumes that everything is a threat unless it is authenticated and continuously validated. When granting access, ZTNA solutions allow users and devices to access only the resources they need to complete a task at the moment, rather than granting blanket access to large sections of the network.
The Need for SASE and Zero Trust Network Access
Transformational changes in IT networks have led to wide adoption of SASE and Zero Trust Network Access solutions. Traditional network security was based on creating a secure perimeter around network assets and users who were largely contained within a single physical space. Cloud computing and hybrid workforces have disrupted this model. IT assets in the cloud may reside anywhere in the world.
Employees working outside the office may need to connect to IT resources and cloud services from anywhere, on any device, through connections that may not be secure.
Legacy technology simply can’t provide strong security for these highly distributed networks and workforces. Security solutions like VPNs or centralized security inspection are difficult to manage, too costly and too slow. SASE and Zero Trust Network Access offer far better alternatives.
Advantages of Adopting SASE and ZTNA
Security platforms that combine ZTNA and SASE offer significant benefits for organizations and their IT teams.
- Highly effective security. SASE moves security functions to the network’s edge, close to the users, applications and devices that need them. Both SASE and Zero Trust Network Access focus on authenticating users and devices, severely restricting unauthorized access and blocking lateral movement attacks.
- Faster performance. By performing security at the edge, SASE and ZTNA eliminate the latency involved in backhauling traffic through a central hub for inspection.
- Easier management. Integrated SASE and ZTNA technologies simplify management by streamlining the technology stack, delivering greater visibility and enabling IT teams to orchestrate WAN traffic with ease.
- Lower cost. Combined SASE and ZTNA solutions enable organizations to avoid the costs of provisioning, managing and updating multiple point solutions for security and networking.
- Fast implementation. SASE and ZTNA rely on cloud-based technology that can be deployed in days rather than weeks or months.
Integrating ZTNA with Other SASE Solutions
With SASE, Zero Trust Network Access is combined with several other technologies to form a multilayered approach to networking and security.
- Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN) uses software-defined networking technology to distribute network traffic across a wide area network more efficiently and cost-effectively. Using a virtual overlay that abstracts the details of network connections, SD-WAN automates and centralizes WAN management. It also enables use of multiple, low-cost commodity connections like LTE, fiber and DSL to reduce costs, increase redundancy and improve performance.
- Secure Web Gateway (SWG) technology inspects and filters web traffic to block cyberattacks, prevent data breaches, stop unauthorized access and consistently enforce security policies. SWGs inspect inbound and outbound web requests to prevent threats from entering the network and block users from accessing malicious applications or downloading malicious content. SWGs may include technologies such as URL filtering, data loss prevention, application control, antivirus and HTTPS inspection.
- Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) solutions are software or appliances that serve as an intermediary between users and cloud service providers. CASBs provide visibility into cloud activity and extend security policies to cloud environments. CASBs manage authentication, credential mapping, encryption, device profiling, logging, alerting, malware detection and more.
Forcepoint ONE: SASE and Zero Trust Network Access Combined
As a leader among SASE and ZTNA vendors, Forcepoint delivers integrated solutions that combine the power of SASE and Zero Trust Network Access to protect the modern enterprise while driving digital transformation and growth.
Forcepoint ONE is a cloud-native, all-in-one security platform that includes solutions for CASB, SWG and ZTNA along with best-of-breed Data Loss Prevention (DLP). Forcepoint ONE integrates easily with Forcepoint FlexEdge Secure SD-WAN to provide organizations with a comprehensive Zero Trust and SASE platform.
With SASE and Zero Trust Network Access from Forcepoint, organizations can:
- Modernize access for the hybrid world. The Forcepoint solution supports offices and remote sites and powers the secure use of BYOD and unmanaged devices. With Forcepoint, organizations enjoy healthy application performance and secure access to SaaS and private apps.
- Adopt a Zero Trust framework. Forcepoint makes it easy to deliver identity-based access control on any device used by employees, contractors and guests. Optional solutions for Remote Browser Isolation and Zero Trust Content Disarm & Reconstruction ensure that any website visit or file download is safe.
- Secure data anywhere it goes. With integrated DLP, Forcepoint ONE enables administrators to create a data security policy once and apply it everywhere that data goes with a few simple clicks, easily extending security policies across web, cloud and private apps.
- Track economic value and security posture in real time. The Forcepoint Insights analytics platform visualizes economic value creation in real time from thwarted cyber threats. This tool lets IT teams instantly see how much value their data security programs are generating across cloud, web and private app channels.
- Simplify and secure network connectivity. With Forcepoint, organizations can securely connect offices and remote sites while delivering the fastest internet speeds possible with maximum resiliency.