What is SASE Software?
SASE Software Defined
Secure Access Service Edge, or SASE, is a model for managing networking and security in an organization with a highly distributed workforce and IT environment.
SASE solutions combine Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN) capabilities with several essential security technologies, delivering integrated networking and security services from a single cloud platform. This model effectively connects remote users to the cloud services and IT resources they need while simplifying management and enhancing protection against a rapidly evolving threat landscape.
A SASE platform may use various software solutions. Along with SD-WAN, Secure Access Service Edge vendors offer solutions that include Cloud Access Security Brokers, Secure Web Gateways, and Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) software.
Why SASE Matters
Managing networking and security has become increasingly tricky as IT environments have become more distributed and employees work from anywhere. As organizations rely more heavily on cloud services and employees expect to connect to services from anywhere on any device, IT teams have struggled to deliver exceptional network performance while keeping users, data, applications and the organization secures.
Part of the challenge is that traditional network security solutions must be more adequate, efficient and cost-effective. With employees working outside the office and cloud resources residing anywhere, it no longer makes sense to backhaul all traffic through a central data center for security inspection.
To reduce latency and eliminate security gaps, SASE software improves connectivity and moves security functions to the cloud, closer to the users and devices that need them. With SASE, security is focused on authenticating identities rather than simply inspecting traffic, and security functions are available wherever a user or device is located.
The result is an IT environment with less risk, more robust security, faster connectivity and streamlined management for IT teams.
The Benefits of Deploying SASE Software
SASE software solutions and the SASE framework offer significant advantages over legacy networking and security solutions.
- Faster, consistent performance. SASE software enables faster performance by connecting users directly to the cloud-based resources they need to stay productive and by moving security functions close to users and devices. SASE employs application-aware routing that ensures bandwidth-hungry apps have the necessary resources and traffic moves along the fastest path to its destination.
- Streamlined security operations. The SASE framework converges various security functions into one solution. It enables teams to manage policy for all environments, users, applications and devices from one console, lightening the load for budget-constrained and short-staffed IT teams.
- Lower costs. As part of a comprehensive security framework, SASE solutions reduce the cost traditionally associated with deploying and managing a disjointed collection of point solutions from multiple vendors.
- Scalability and flexibility. SASE software can scale quickly to accommodate temporary spikes or rapid organizational growth.
Characteristics of a SASE Solution
While no single prescription exists for architecting a SASE framework, SASE solutions have several common characteristics.
- Converged networking and security. The core of most SASE solutions includes software-defined networking (SD-WAN) along with security solutions known as the Secure Service Edge (SSE): a Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB), a Secure Web Gateway (SWG), and Zero Trust Network Access technology.
- A focus on identity. To move security functions away from a central hub and to users and devices, SASE solutions focus on authenticating the identity of users and devices, granting appropriate access and determining the networking experience and quality of service for every network connection.
- Security at the edge. SASE moves security functions closer to the users, devices and applications that need them rather than backhauling traffic to a centralized hub for inspection.
- Cloud-native technology. The cloud-native nature of SASE solutions makes the technology elastic, allowing businesses to make services available anywhere quickly.
- Global distribution. SASE allows organizations to provide low-latency networking and high-performing security capabilities on a global scale.
Forcepoint Delivers Leading SASE Software Solutions
As one of the few SASE vendors offering rich SSE security and SD-WAN networking solutions, Forcepoint delivers SASE software in one complete package.
With Forcepoint SASE services, distributed businesses and government agencies can connect and protect their hybrid workforces with centrally managed networking and security solutions sourced from and supported by a single vendor. Forcepoint’s offering lets companies avoid the burden, inefficiencies and risks associated with managing a patchwork of point products and coordinating with multiple vendors.
Forcepoint enables organizations and IT teams to address the most extensive networking and security challenges.
- Protect sensitive data in the cloud and on devices. Forcepoint ONE CASB provides continuous control of business-critical data, allowing employees, contractors and partners to work from any location using multiple SaaS applications and devices.
- Protect access to private apps. Forcepoint ONE ZTNA provides secure access to private apps from remote locations.
- Protect users and data from dangerous and inappropriate web use. As the line between good and bad websites becomes more difficult to distinguish, Forcepoint ONE SWG lets users securely access any website – even those potentially harboring malicious code – or download any document while continuing to enjoy an exceptional performance.
- Deploy data security consistently across the network. Forcepoint ONE DLP protects sensitive data and keeps out threats like malware as employees access and use risky websites.
- Improve security and connectivity of remote sites. Forcepoint FlexEdge Secure SD-WAN safely connects remote sites and resources while ensuring a high quality of service for business-critical applications.